He began his activities in graphic arts and lithography in 1935 at Companhia Melhoramentos, São Paulo. From 1936 to 1940 he studied at the Liceu de Artes e Ofícios [Lyceum of Arts and Crafts], taking painting lessons in 1942, with Waldemar da Costa. He joined the Ruptura group in 1955, with whom he participated in the First National Exhibition of Concrete Art in the Museums of Modern Art of São Paulo in December 1956 and Rio de Janeiro in 1957. He was no longer a member of Grupo Ruptura in 1959 and from 1960 onwards he took part in many exhibitions in Brazil and abroad, including at the Konkrete Kunst, an international exhibition held in Zurich, 1960, as well as at various São Paulo’s Biennials and at the Paulista Salon, obtaining several prizes. He exhibited at the Museum of Contemporary Art of the University of São Paulo, the Museum of Modern Art of Rio de Janeiro and the Museum of Contemporary Art of Campinas. He also held several solo exhibitions, including at the Aremar gallery in Campinas, 1963, and at the Novas Tendências gallery in São Paulo, 1965. In addition, he was one of the founders of the Association of Visual Arts in São Paulo. In 1969, he founded the Ateliê Livre de Artes Plásticas, in São José dos Campos, São Paulo, where he was a director and professor.